Matt Lauer was born ...:
... December 30, 1957. He grew up in Connecticut, the son of a Jewish father and Christian mother (paraphrasing a quote, Lauer says he was raised without a focus on either religion, but is a spiritually curious person). He is married to Annette Roque and the couple has two children and are expecting a third.
The Early Years:
Matt Lauer left Ohio University in Athens, Ohio, four credits shy of a journalism degree, choosing instead his first career step, as a news producer at a Huntington, W.V., television station. In less than a year, Matt was on on-air reporter at the station.
The early years saw Matt growing his career by accepting positions in Boston, Philadelphia, Providence, R.I., and Richmond, Va, and New York City. His work at NBC's flagship station laid the trail for his leap to network television.
Becoming a talk show host:
In the early 90s, while serving as co-anchor of WNBC's Today in New York, a local news program that led into the nationally televised The Today Show, Matt was able to leverage his time and fill-in on Today as newsreader, as well as positions on Weekend Today, NBC News at Sunrise, and the NBC Nightly News. He officially joined The Today Show as news anchor in 1994.
With such experience, Lauer was a shoe-in as a replacement for Bryant Gumbel, who stepped down as co-anchor of Today in 1997.
A key moment in his career:
Possibly filling many roles at once. The aforementioned availability to fill-in where necessary on a number of NBC news programs solidified his dedication to profession and made him recognizable to TV viewers across the country.
Then there's the infamous haircut of 2002, which garnered much attention and cast Matt as a fashionable, trend-setting personality. Okay, maybe not a key moment, but one that certainly generated some buzz.
What does the future hold?:
An increasing role as one of NBC's elder statesmen. Matt will remain with The Today Show through the 2011 season, and then it is anybody's guess.
And Just For Fun:
- Matt received his bachelor's degree from Ohio University in 1997 after the school determined that his journalism experience could count as 'independent study.' Matt returned to the stellar school (okay, it's my alma mater, I admit it) to accept his degree and give the commencement address.
- Has journeyed to the far reaches of the world in his six-year-old Today show segment 'Where in the World is Matt Lauer?'. He completed his most recent journey in April/May 2008.
- Has the same birthday as co-host Meredith Vieira.
- Left in the midst of a Today show broadcast to attend the birth of his son, Jack.
- Son Thisj (prounced "Tice", from the Dutch) joined the family on November 28, 2006. He's the youngest of three, including Jack and sister Romy.
- Often takes part in silly stunts for other NBC shows, like Late Night with Conan O'Brien.