Dr. Oz was Born ... :
... June 11, 1960, in Cleveland, Ohio, the son of a professor and doctor, Mustafa Öz, and older brother to two sisters, Seval and Nazlim.
The Early Years :
Talk about an overachiever. Dr. Oz received his undergraduate degree from Harvard University and obtained a joint MD and MBA from the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine and Wharton Business School. To prove his overachiever status, he went on to win his college’s Captain’s Athletic Award for leadership and was class president followed by president of the student body during medical school.
Today, Dr. Oz is vice-chair and professor of surgery at Columbia University. He directs the Cardiovascular Institute and Complementary Medicine Program at New York Presbyterian Hospital. Research includes heart replacement surgery, minimally invasive cardiac surgery, complementary medicine and health care policy. Then there are the more than 400 original publications, book chapters, and medical books and patents. Not to mention the 250 heart operations he performs annually.
It’s no wonder he caught the attention of Oprah Winfrey.
Becoming a Talk Show Host :
Dr. Oz’s success soon landed him on television, making appearances on The Today Show, Good Morning America, Larry King Live and The View. He served as chief medical consultant on the Discovery Channel’s Transplant! series. And for more than five seasons, he has been the wildly popular featured health expert onThe Oprah Winfrey Show.
So popular that Oprah and her Harpo Production company has spun his success off as a syndicated talk show, The Dr. Oz Show.
What Does the Future Hold? :
If The Dr. Oz Show becomes a success – and there is every indication it will – Dr. Oz is likely to become the next Dr. Phil. But with such wild success already, in both his personal and professional career, it is more likely that becoming a talk show host is a new experience for a charismatic guy who has already done it all.
And Just for Fun:
- Married to Lisa Oz, an author and Reiki master. They have four children.
- Has authored more than 400 original publications, book chapters, and medical books.
- Performs 250 heart operations annually.
- Host of a daily talk show on Sirius XM Radio’s Oprah Radio
- Authored five. New York Times best sellers including “You: The Owner’s Manual”, “You: The Smart Patient”, “YOU: On a Diet”, “YOU: Staying Young”, “YOU: Being
- Beautiful” as well as the award winning “Healing from the Heart”.
- Belongs to every major professional society for heart surgeons
- Honored as one of Time magazine’s 100 Most Influential People, Esquire magazine’s 75 Most Influential People of the 21st Century
- Called a Global Leader of Tomorrow by the World Economic Forum
- Won the prestigious Gross Surgical Research Scholarship
- Received an honorary doctorate from Istanbul University
- Voted "The Best and Brightest" by Esquire Magazine,
- Voted “Doctor of the Year” by Hippocrates magazine and “Healer of the Millennium” by Healthy Living magazine.