The CBS Orchestra is Late Show with David Letterman’s house band, led by Paul Shaffer. It first appeared as The World’s Most Dangerous Band on Late Night with David Letterman in 1982. The name change came with Letterman’s move to CBS in 1993.
The group has also served as the house band for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ceremony since 1986. Shaffer has led as musical director of the ceremony since 1986, as well.
CBS Orchestra Band Members (including years with TWMDB
- Paul Shaffer, band leader, keyboards (1982-present)
- Will Lee, bass guitar, vocals (1982-present)
- Sid McGinnis, guitar (1984-present)
- Anton Fig, drums and percussion (1986-present)
- Steve Jordan, drums and percussion (1982-1986)
- Hiram Bullock on guitar (1982-1984)
- Felicia Collins, guitar and vocals (1993-present)
- Bernie Worrell, synthesizers (August 1993-November 1993)
- Tom Malone, trombone (November 1993-present)
- Al Cheznovitz, trumpet/flugelhorn (November 1993-present)
- Bruce Kapler, saxophone (November 1993-present)
- Coast to Coast, 1989, nominated for a Grammy
- The World's Most Dangerous Party, 1993